Thursday, August 30, 2007

FEED ME

(please click all photos to enlarge)

Which is it: The cry of “feed me, mama” heard from little birdlings? Or:



FEED ME, Seymour!” from Little Shop of Horrors?


That’s what I saw when these seed pods began to open. Do you know what plant they come from? No, really, do you? ‘Cos I don’t know the name of it. Can you guess what the plant looks like before the seed pods appear? That would be the flower stage. Mmm, you will have to go with my description, then, because surprisingly, I don’t have a photo of the large, pale pink flowers this plant produces. They are about as big as my hand, kind of floppy like an oversized petunia flower, but with a wider base and without a fluted shape. There may be some buds appearing on one of the plants, so I will report back at a later date, unless some very bright person reading this knows this plant. The plant itself stands about 4 feet high! Yes, true. The seed pods are about six inches across. Just kidding! They are only two inches across at the widest part of the largest pod. (Oops, this is an error--they are only about one inch across. I don't think they have shrunk that much.)

The plants have been standing like this for a few weeks now. I have left them because of their unique appearance, and to see what happens next. They don’t seem to be of interest to birds, so I am considering a harvest and planting seeds in a few places around the garden where the soil doesn’t seem to want anything besides crazygrass. We don’t know how it came about that these plants grew up in our garden, but they have come up three years running, in the same location.




When it rained recently, every single one of the seed pods closed up tight—even tighter than this one in the center. As the sun came out the following day, everything rapidly warmed and dried, and these opened up again, status quo ante.

Every time I look at these plants I think of the phrase, “Feed me.” From the parenting world, it recalls a book, “Feed Me, I’m Yours,” by Vicki Lansky, which I see at various book sales. It is highly recommended for its baby- and toddler food recipes and ideas. The book has been around a long time. I always thought that was a clever title.

I was musing over the command that it is: FEED ME! and the idea of being fed. People speak of being intellectually fed, spiritually fed, fed-up, fed food they like or dislike. Lots of us utilise the internet to visit and make friends. We learn of places and people that previously didn’t exist in our immediate vicinity. Are we being fed, or are we feeding ourselves? We are nurturing ourselves, reaching out to those sharing their gifts: words, images, music, knowledge; feeding our hearts and minds with the connections made across the miles. We are feeding others the offertory of our own talents. Complementary—oh, and complimentary--exchanges spring up as we offer each other support; express appreciation.


I enjoy this camaraderie and this community. I’m having a blast learning the ins and outs of operating this, my own small forum of mischief and magic. Now, before I think of another path to explore for a paragraph, here is a little of…which?



11 comments:

floots said...

great shots and info
love those "feed me" thoughts
always enjoyed that film/show
cheers

Janice Thomson said...

What an interesting plant...if you find out the name let us know. The flowers must be quite large judging by the size of the seeds. I think it looks as good this way as it probably does in bloom too. Great shots Nina.

Nina said...

floots: Thanks very much. "Little Shop" is currently enjoying a revival in London, I believe.

janice: I really hope it blooms again this season. Today I noticed the pods are only an inch across. I think they had grown in my mind, but the flowers are quite large. :)

Annie Wicking said...

Wow, weird and wonderful!
I would be very interested to know too what it is.

best wishes

Annie

Nina said...

annie: Thanks Annie. Good to see you again. :)

fotoface said...

and the grass is screaming give me water thanks 4 sharing

Nina said...

fotoface: Thanks for stopping by. That patch of grass had been covered by one of the kids' items, LOL. But when it is dry we don't water. After, you can't eat grass, and it always recovers. :)

Anonymous said...

Seeing all those seeds reminds me summer is almost finished.

Nina said...

seraphine: Yes, it's hard to believe it is--it seems so soon! Thanks for stopping by; be sure to check in again. :)

Dan said...

The immense variety of plants in nature never ceases to amaze me. I love the attention you paid to these Nina!

Nina said...

dan: Thanks Dan! It's good to see you here again. I'm waiting for another flower, but something else seems to have grown--couldn't tell, it was too dark. More about that later, in the light of day.