Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Boys of Summer

splash pad

Yesterday we found a way to cool off: The splashpad. These so-called "spraygrounds" are a new phenomenon here, this year. (All photos enlarge, just click on them.)

This one is located where formerly stood the last wading pool in the city. The only pool with a maximum depth of 36 inches. Perfect for little kids. And mommies who can't swim. I was disappointed when I saw them plowing it under.


Splash sm - 1 Splash sm - 2

However, the wading pool had its undesirable traits: No Shade. Anywhere. Difficult to look forward to spending daytime hours in the hot sun with the wee ones, even in the water. Do you know how well kids enjoy reapplying sunblock? Thaaat's right.

There was an ugly little concrete building where you could risk germ exposure and change clothes in a tiny and stuffy room.
For some reason, they always had people sign in for the wading pool. There were a couple life guards. One would hide out inside at the sign-in desk. One time a friend of mine was approached by one of these young twits and actually told she couldn't breastfeed her baby there. Being an advanced branch of society, each state of the US is having to enact some sort of law "making it legal" to breastfeed in public. Or not illegal. Such nonsense!! (But that's a whole 'nother topic, for another time.) The news obviously hadn't gotten out to all the city employees that summer. I suppose with the splash pads the city won't need to employ as many life guards. So everybody wins.

Splash sm - 3: A messenger Splash sm - 4

Here comes a messenger! He's inviting me to join them, telling me how he got splashed. You can tell which children are mine - the guys most pale. Oooo, I just remembered I can say it is partly from the zinc oxide in the sunblock, yeah, that's right. Not only from hiding indoors from the heat. I did go in the water--after taking "just a few more" photos. Well, I took some in the water, too. Sorry, no photos of me this time (though you would be thanking me this time!). Heh.

Splash sm - 5 Splash sm - 6

I really enjoyed being there. We arrived just after 4 pm and stayed for about an hour. As you can see, there were fountains that sprayed really high, and some parents were carrying their smaller and more timid children into the water. It was lovely, like standing in the rain.

Splash sm - 7


I was a bit concerned about the creepy guy to the right with the camera. You can see him in the last 3 photos. He was taking pictures of the children at the "sprayground"! Who did he belong to? I did sort him out--you can see his child in one of the pics. Whew! Wouldn't want some stranger getting photos of my children.

splash pad - wheel

Here I took my life the camera's life into my hands to snap this one. I really wanted to show more the motion of the wheel. It's obviously spinning in the water. It is obvious, isn't it?

Is this going against the forces of nature?

the square drain - 2

I mean, is it natural for water to spiral in a circular fashion into a square drain? I was fascinated by the different patterns made by the droplets as the water flowed lightly, then with more strength as the water splashed from the various spots on the pad.

After about an hour, the concrete surface took its toll on its first victim. A scrape on the palm ensured much misery, and questions as to why, oh why do they make the ground surface of these places with rough concrete? Actually, that's a good question. See the pattern painted on the ground? The painted places are actually rougher than the plain concrete.

We retreated to the minivan to return to our street clothes. Yes, the one reason I like driving a minivan: you can change clothes in it, relatively out of sight of the general public. Oh, wait, that's the second reason--the first is being able to transport 5-6 people (usually children) safely in one vehicle.

Back home, after a break hiding out in the thrift store, searching for treasure.

15 comments:

Dan said...

Wow! Now why didn't they have stuff like this when I was a kid?? I had to run into my dad's sprinkler. It got boring after a while! :)

Nina said...

dan: I know! Same for me--dad got his lawn watered, I guess. ;)

fotoface said...

wow lovely photos
we have these water play areas here,
in the U.K.
BUT we are not aloud to take photos
because of the perverts. which is a shame as your pictures prove there
is an art here, WATER ART.

Nina said...

fotoface: Welcome! Thank you -- high compliment from a true photographer!

I was quite concerned about the red shirt--was about to go speak with him, then I saw him with his child. Brrrr! That's the problem, how to find a balance, and how to trust...

Anonymous said...

WoW...this looks a lovely place to chill out and mean the summer blues. The place simply looks inviting and along with the photos it is simply a beautiful place!

Nina said...

kalyan: I'm so glad you stopped by! Thanks much.

I was pleasantly surprised when we visited there. It is definitely different to go into the fountains rather than to watch the kids. We have to spend as much time as possible in the water now. They close down the public pools and "spraygrounds" after September 4, even though it's scorching temps through September and into October. :(

floots said...

great pix and info
i'd never heard of them
also - coincidentally - i hope to be at a friend's gig in england in the week and one of the songs i'll be requesting is his version of boys of summer :)
cheers

fotoface said...

just seen my spelling mistake.
big time!!
please for give me

Annie Wicking said...

Hi Nina,
No wories here, my dear, it's great and you've had some great visitors here too.

I shall add you to my links
My very best wishes

Annie

P.s Email me anytime, dear friend.

Job said...

you are a great photographer! What kind of camera do you have?

Nina said...

floots: glad you like the pics, thank you. The parks are fun--I'd only seen them in paying venues, not for the general riffraff. Re: your trip/friend's gig--what a coinkydink! Can't wait to hear about it. Safe travels :)

fotoface: I wouldn't dream of taking exception! :)

annie: Welcome! Thank you very much! I may just. :-)

jacqueline: Hi Jacqui, Welcome. Much thanks! The camera is merely a Sony Cybershot, and most of the time I feel as though it is operating me. Flickr has a neato feature; there is a place to click for more info on a photo, and you can get all the technical details about the photos, including what type of camera was used. Wild, eh?

dear friends: do check back later, as I will have the next post up. I happen to have an all-day rehearsal, so must run off now. :)

mirk said...

A I see shenanigans are afoot, methinks! I have been duped into believing there was no blog up and running.

I shall now go and peruse aforesaid not up and running blog!

Oh and I see MR swish red sweater has already made his presence felt!

Nina said...

mirk: I couldn't bring myself to mention it in some subtle manner; and then you know, you went on and ON about the subject of blob lists and all that, so... sorry, you're only a little late here. Thanks so much for taking the time. Hope you find something of interest. :)

mirk said...

Dare I say silly woman yes I do :) In fact shhh don't tell anyone I have put a link button on to here (if I can get it to work) and missed out my new found lands section, straight to the main section shh!

Great pix and I share your concerns about the strange blokes with cameras you can't be to careful. All that water looks fun but I am allergic to water hence all the flies that follow me;)

Nina said...

mirk: oooo, very kewl, and dare I say, sweet. Thank you from my heart. I enjoy seeing the specific aspect a camera pic can give.

When I conquer the sidebar format of blogmaking (thanks to donna's tutorial), I will add your link, too, if that's okay.

Oh, and sorry to hear about your fear of water. I supposed you're relegated to using copious amounts of that hand sanitizer. You know, it might be more economical to just saturate yourself in plain rubbing alcohol, as that's basically what that stuff is. ;)