Monday, August 27, 2007

Bean There

This photo, credit: ZAZ

(click on each photo to see the bigger picture)

We took a trip this summer. Went on holiday. Left the premises. We were on vacation. Took it on the road. Didn’t look back!

Guess where we went? Chicago. I had to go back to renew my non-accent and recall my dialect. And attend a conference, but I’m not talking about that right now. I’m talking about one of our favorite places to visit downtown. It’s a sculpture park, among other things, called Millennium Park.

See? It’s true!

It’s right downtown and across the street from the Chicago Art Institute.

This is one of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen, because of the many ways you can look at it, or see into it. You will understand in a moment. It is the Cloud Gate, commonly known as the Bean. I actually found us in this photo, in the reflection.


Cloud Gate-Bean


Cloud Gate is the creation of British artist Anish Kapoor. That’s not chrome, it’s made of highly polished stainless steel plates. Here is even
more information.

If you check the link, you will see that this sculpture park has not escaped the corporate naming syndrome. I was really really hoping, but was disappointed. I won’t name the corporation. The city we live in is rampant with the syndrome. At least the public schools and the library system aren’t named after some wealthy businessperson. Yet.

You have to walk inside the Bean. It is absolutely incredible. Look at all the configurations of each person’s reflection:

There we are, at the bottom. Can you see the wild distortions? How many times do you see us reflected?

Here’s a wider view. This time I used a flash. It makes it easier to track us.

We were able to make a family portrait. Does this make me look too… ?

I don’t know where those little things came from, but they would run away and then spring back to our side. We usually have all our things with us, but the eldest was off on a different adventure for the summer.

You can’t see Millennium Park in the photo, but it is on the right. We’re going around the southwest corner of the park, turning north onto Michigan Avenue from Monroe.

I believe we only went one block north to Madison and turned west.

This is the Wabash Avenue elevated train platform, the “el”. We turned left, or south, and drove under it, on Wabash.

Our trip this summer was tempered by the time involved with the conference. It was probably good for us, in a way, as we usually try to do too many things on each expedition northward. Still and all, it was disappointing that we were not able to stop to see our good friends on the way up or back. But wait--that, in itself, gives us new opportunity--time to plan the next journey!

The good news is we took lots of photos, snaps, pics, close-ups, prints, portraits, mugs, landscapes, clicks, shots, images... and there is much more to tell.

(Check this space often!)


12 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

What a unique gate Nina...I love this! I have never been to Chicago so I look forward to your photos with great anticipation. There are so many wonderful attractions in the US - one could spend months going from one end to the other just to see everything.

fotoface said...

FANTASTIC
WORDS ESCAPE ME,A REAL PHOTO GEM THE BEAN , WISHING YOU COULD SEND IT OVER HERE.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR PHOTOS.

Donna said...

What I find fascinating but a bit puzzling is that although there are lots of reflections, none of them actually are because they are not mirror images, they are the right way round. How does that work????

Audrey said...

Nina, you take the most amazing pictures. So lovely and thought provoking. You are truly talented.

Nina said...

janice: It's just the coolest thing on earth! I agree, and this country is really too big to be one country. Well, it's broken up into states that act like independent countries in some ways, hahaha. The US is definitely big enough to visit different types of regions, yet not "leave home."

fotoface: Thanks much, glad you like it. More to come.

donna: I was looking and looking, and now my head hurts from thinking. If you turn around as if you were standing in my place as the photo looks, it is correct-T3 was off to my left, it's my right elbow (or oboe, as T3 puts it). But what we see here is a photo of our reflection. So then, is it "correct"? Ouch! Thanks a lot, Donna. ;^)

Wait, I only found one reversal of the image in there. So is it that each set of us that we see, is a direct reflection of us, and not reflections from the walls?

Anyone?

audrey: Thank you so much, and welcome! It's good to see you here. :)

Donna said...

I have slept on this connundrum, and realised my mistake! I was thinking that the you at the bottom was the real you, but of coirse that is a reflection too, so that is okay then. If someone else had taken the photo and it had been the real you, then it would have been odd! Sorry to make your brain hurt!!!

Dan said...

Holy crap! That Cloud Gate is AWESOME!

I think I would have spent an hour at that thing taking about 500 photos! Very nice!

Nina said...

donna: I'm glad you figured it out. Sleeping on it can really help. My brain isn't accustomed to that much exercise!

dan: Isn't though? The outside is just as fun as the inside. I wish we had had more time, but the boys had gone to the park earlier in the visit, so they had a good amount of time with it. Now you need to go to Chicago. ;-)

floots said...

looks like a great place and a good visit
fascinated by the bean
(most of my away time was spent on DIY - not quite as inspiring as these pics) :(

Nina said...

floots: It *was* good, in so many ways. Sorry your "time off" wasn't, so much. Is it more relaxing to be "back"? :)

Cal said...

Things sure have changes in the windy city since Doris Day was there. More wonderful pictures you have a talent:)thank you.

Nina said...

cal: many thanks, so nice of you! Yes, it's the same, only different. I should have more Chicago pics up later in the week. :) (it's my kind of town)