Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Within These Walls

This is probably one of the worst times for me to write something. Because I can’t write on the subject I would like very much to. Not kittens. I have photos of kittens, which I have been thinking of a lot lately, for a number of reasons. Two plus four reasons, actually. 2 + 4 = 2, to be exact.


I have been thinking of kittens to help sooth a monumental headache which took residence within my skull, as of Thursday last and stayed, an unwanted visitor, until Saturday night, after the concert. That would be the Thursday and Friday we had late dress rehearsals for the concert.

It’s the concert I want to write about. The first concert of the season, some wonderful music. Choral music. Words set to music, what could be better? This is my second season singing with this organisation, and each time we begin work on the next material I find myself quite pleased with our director. He is very knowledgeable about the music—not just as a good conductor, but he tells us a lot of background for each piece, and the nuances of the particular period of music from which the piece hails. I learn something new each set of concert music we explore. As if adding to my vocabulary, as music is the language I speak.

But I can’t talk about it right now. I am having a hard time making sense, so hang in there as you read this. I feel as though I am still recovering from this headache thang, whatever it is. I know folks are sincerely trying to be helpful, but why is it everyone is trying to give me allergies? It goes, how are you, or are you okay, depending on the degree of grimace in my expression, I imagine. Describe a headache that won’t go away, and they give you an allergy. It’s allergies. No, it can’t be allergies; we don’t have any of those. (We are very fortunate.) And it doesn’t match up, anyway. Last Wednesday T3 was home, sleeping all day with… a headache. Well, he had a fever, too. Then it was I with the headache, then T2 was home Monday with… a headache. Well, he had a scratchy throat and felt weak, too. It was almost a relief when I made a connection between what ails me and the boys being ill. I may not let well-meaning friends give me allergies, but it’s surprising what I was willing to give myself. It’s all in my head—so close to the brain, you know?

The boys only suffered a day, each. I am still feeling the effect of whatever the headache is. I wonder if it has anything to do with my decision to stop taking caffeine. Ha! No, it is not the cause of the original ailment, but I didn’t think I could feel any worse, so why not detox as long as I was so miserable. Nothing would touch this headache. Admittedly, I only tried ibuprofen with a little coffee; the adrenaline from the concert performance gave it the final little kick, and by the time I returned home, I was feeling better overall. Yet, there’s a lingering something, but after having 2 cups of full strength coffee every day for months, I suppose it could be expected. What a relief it will be, once I’m clear of the caffeine. I do not like being dependent like that—at some point, you have to have it, or you suffer.

And now, as my suffering is easing, so shall I ease yours and end this. I’m going to go think of kitties, maybe find three or four to pet, so soothing don’t you think? And then, a strong cup of decaf tea. Mmm, it doesn’t sound quite right, does it?






8 comments:

Julie said...

If you have natural gas in the house, get it checked for carbon monoxide. I used to get the WORST killer headaches from it, when our heater was busted. Unfortunately, my mouse had to die before we figured out what was wrong. But still.

If you don't have natural gas, um. Sorry to be an alarmist, and I hope you feel better soon.

Nina said...

julie: Thanks, I hadn't thought of that--will definitely check it today!

Janice Thomson said...

You know I think you must have an allergy of some kind from -um -kids maybe....hee hee hee
It's probably just some kind of flu bug that the kids were able to shake off much easier...plus the added strain of withdrawal from caffeine. Those kitties are so adorable Nina. Are you going to keep them all?

Nina said...

janice: hahaha! I think you have a point there, janice. :) Ohhhh, the kitties. Aren't they sweet? Two boys, two girls (the younger ones), one of each (older). We don't let the cats out, they are strictly indoor kitties. (not safe in the city) So, in our small house, the 8 *active* cats are quickly driving us mad. Now, to convince the boys that they need homes of their own. The cats, that is, not the boys. ;)

Cal said...

julie makes a very important point one that i had not even considered thumbs up julie. it's probably just a bug that said i would check out the monoxide it's a killer!!

you can and should "young lady" get an alarm that goes off just like smoke a alarm when it detects monoxide, or stickers but the alarm sounds better to me.

look what you have started now people could go on for years trying to figure out what your ailment is .......................and on...

Nina said...

Oh my goodness, I should get an alarm. That's what I was thinking when Julie mentioned getting the place checked. I guess I've been thinking our house was drafty enough that we would not have a build-up of fumes of any sort, but one should not assume, should one?

I can tell you whatever it is, it's not due to lack of chocolate, so cross that off the list. ;)

It's just that I only get about 3 headaches a year, so for one thing, I should be done with it for a couple years now, and for another, it threw me for a loop, not having an easy solution. Plus, I was getting a little angry with the headache, coming at such an important time for me. That's a lot of work, being angry at a headache. Hmmph!

floots said...

hope you feel better soon
as a migrainer myself i know how you must be feeling
all i can say is that when i get a really bad one nothing touches it (aside from time)
best wishes

Nina said...

floots: Thank you. I'm sorry to hear you suffer like that. It's really awful. I have to say, I was feeling better, and then I woke up... to the morning rush here and... No, really, I feel much improved.