Monday, September 10, 2007

Something's Bugging Me


I don’t know exactly how to say this—and that has been part of the problem for about ten days—but something has been bugging me. Maybe not just one thing.

Have you ever had a notion in the back of your mind, there is something you know, but can’t name it, or you had it a moment ago, but then something else happened, you were distracted, and now it’s no longer on the tip of your mind. Something is missing, or something isn’t quite right.

Well, that is what I have had, all summer. Something was not right. But what? I mean, yeah, it was too hot, we all know that. Too hot is just not right! Then, I started seeing it all over the internet, and I realised I had a clue all along. Birds! I was seeing birds in backyards, gardens, fields all over the world, but not here. Where were they? No birds, no birdsong, no birds in sight. I did see signs of them here and there, as you might expect, showing that they dropped by every so often. They would leave souvenirs to remind us.

I thought I had a clue, anyway. The dear Mister said he saw some of them hiding out underneath cars in a parking lot once, on a hot day. We don’t have proof of it, though—he didn’t have a camera handy. It sounded possible at the time. So, did the heat drive them into hiding? Or was it something more…sinister?

(click to enlarge each photo...if you dare!)




This was on our back door screen: praying mantis, wee hours of the morning.


What about this? How would you like to see this in your car, hanging by a thread? You see it out of the corner of your eye: Surely not, there is surely NOT a spider coming down from the sun visor this close to me, while I’m driving!! I don’t wish that on anyone, it’s very unsafe.



Eh—no, I didn’t take this while I was driving. But I did find another setting on the camera, apparently it—what, makes a slower “shutter” speed? It’s a digital camera, and yes, we do have the instruction booklet, what’s the fun of that, anyway? As you can see, this was a moving experience.

Oh alright, this little thing wasn’t as big and scary as you might think. It did make for some interesting moments of contemplation on my part as I drive home, wondering what I would do if it started moving. Toward me.

Here is proof that the bugs are not all scary creatures. This one is surprisingly colourful, and dare I say it, cute.

Guess which plant this is? I know you can.

Ha! This was taken when the others were holding the large, fairly newly opened seed pods. I’m still waiting for this to throw out some late season flowers. It’s possible, isn’t it?


Now, what is it with the bugs and automobiles? This was taken about a month ago. And guess what?

We found another one in the same place this morning! Same tire and everything.

Okay, another break for a cute bug. In my fog, I thought this was taken a week or so later, but the dates on the photos say only a couple days. And you have to totally ignore the photo numbers, I don’t know what’s up with that. This one was taken later than the others, after there was actually some rain. I’m going to stop trying to sort that one out.



So let’s go with my recollection of what I actually did, supposedly. I thought it was a week between shots, thereby leading me to wonder how this little bug would still be hanging around. I guess my impression of bugs is that they are here and there, everywhere. Although I have to admit I’m on the lookout for that praying mantis at the back door.

Is anybody home? What’s that—a glint in its eye?


I have definitely answered the question of where they get the ideas for creatures and creepy doings in horror/scary movies. Insects! Hallo, nature is creepier than anyone’s imagination, people!

I have proof. Soccer season has started. First time in two years for us. Err, that would be football for some of you, and actually, we are going to call it futból, as our coach and trainer are Spanish speakers. “Football” makes more sense to me. Dunno how they got started calling the so-called American football as such, because they rarely touch the ball with the foot. It really should just be called “kill the guy with the ball” ‘cos that’s all I see. That would free up “football” for “soccer”.

But I digress.

What’s bugging me about soccer/football/futból, you ask? Here you go, this is what we saw last Thursday:





When will it END??

And now, I think I shall have to go somewhere quiet, and possibly dark, and just think sweet thoughts, change the energy waves moving through my jumbled mind… just think of…












(photos also found HERE)


12 comments:

floots said...

i think i'll go for the kittens :)
the sparrows here have been sheltering under the car
we have no shortage of birds but i'm glad to say that bugs are in short supply
i think
scratch
itch
shudder
etc
cheers :)

Cal said...

I just found your blog very interesting. Full of little buggers, though try as I mite :) I could not see any bugs, mites on the oh so sweet kittens. Are they yours?

I will need to visit again thanks for the wonderful pictures.

Janice Thomson said...

That would be awful - no birds. And doesn't help to keep the insect population down. Speaking of which you have some very unique ones there...and did you REALLY see a spider that bloody big and hairy? Is it a tarantula?...ok I'm outta here for sure :D Great collection of photos Nina.

Nina said...

floots: are your sparrows sheltering from rain? ;) Just remember: kitties...kitties...

cal: welcome! i'm happy you found something you like, you're very kind. mmm, as a matter of fact, these belong to their mama yet, and they are all in our care, we are so lucky. :^) no bugs so far (crossing crossables) please do check in again.

janice: that's a good point, janice, i hadn't thought of that, and now that i do, it would explain a few things. of course we saw that incredible monster!! right after futbol. they jump, did you know? truly. :-0 janice, remember...kitties...kitties...

Anonymous said...

The bug hanging upside down is the Promethea moth. It will open huge wings and spend a whole day drying them in the sunshine hanging there. It is a nice bug.

I like your photography.

Donna said...

Eeek! You could have warned me about the hairy monster!! And I don't mean the kitties!! Great pics, I like the fluorescent spider!

Nina said...

abraham lincoln: Thank you, such a pleasure to have you visit. I only wish it was a Promethea moth! That would be amazing. At that angle, I can see the possibility. Alas, it was only a cicada shell, hanging on a leaf. You reminded me I hadn't identified those in the post. Many thanks. :)

Nina said...

donna: Ha-ha, that hairy one was on the move the whole time. We have to keep you on your toes, you know. ;) Thanks very much.

fotoface said...

i'm feeling picky
can you put less photos on in one go as this would make it easy to comment
on. no offense intended xx

keep sharing

Nina said...

fotoface: That's a good point, and something I was thinking about too. Thanks for the suggestion. I got a little carried away. ;-)

Dan said...

I was thinking ... what cute bugs! They really are! And then I got to the kittens. Now THAT's cute!

Nina said...

dan: I find them fascinating. And when you take a photo, you can get such a closer view! Without them moving. Toward you. Glad you liked them. And the kitties too. They are sweeeet!